Monday, May 12, 2008

Summer Travel - Backpacking in Europe

First year is over and I am off backpacking in Europe for two weeks. As some of you know I was in Barcelona earlier this year for a week on Barcelona GBE and absolutely loved the place. So I am going back for more. This time around I fly into Madrid on 14th May, travel to Barcelona and then off to Paris. I may be visiting other places in france and am also considering Munich or Amsterdam aa additional locations. Obviously I do not want to sacrifice quality for quantity.

Today I did some shopping bought backpack, travel kits, summer clothes and $1 version of all tolietaries, and printed of all travel documents. Tomorrow is the packing day and I hope I can get the stuff I need into the backpack.
Here are some backpaking travel wisdom I have gained so far
> Start by acking someone who has already done it.
> If you have time browse the travel forums for tips
> Get a travel book. They have everything from where to stay, what to see, how to get there etc
> Book hostels upfront. Try hostelworld.com (there are others) and don't go for the cheapest. Some hostels offer great experience
> Air travel in Europe is the cheapest. If you know someone ask whats the cheapest flights are then search online.
> Get help while making a packing list. Some of the stuff i didn't know about/think about - pasport holder, backpack cover, power adaptors, wet tissues, locks, chain etc
>Get a notebook to record your personal travel journeys
>Xerox your documents and keep copies separate
> Get to and fro directions from airports if you want to avoid using cabs
if I remmember more, i'll post them

As you can imagine I am very excited about my trip. I will try and keeo you updated as I g along but if not be assured I will like always post detail travelogue of my trip!
Bye for now!
Added 10:30 pm on may 13th
I bought Mountainsmith 3930 cu in. backpack and its amazing. Worked out perfectly for me. Another tip for packing that I got from my roomate was to roll up my t-shirts and whatever else I could and compact them to fit ziplock bags. Works well I must say!
I am also taking an smaller carry bag (like a college bag) for when I travel around in the city. it pretty much has a jacket, hand towel, documents, camera, water bottle, tickets and direction.
Ok I am all set for tomorrow

0 Comments:

© 3 Column XML Blogger Templates | Web Toolz