Saturday, February 02, 2008

Success is counted sweetest

Success is counted sweetest
By those who ne'er succeed.
To comprehend a nectar
Requires sorest need.

Not one of all the purple Host
Who took the Flag today
Can tell the definition
So clear of Victory

As he defeated -- dying --
On whose forbidden ear
The distant strains of triumph
Burst agonized and clear!

- Emily Dickinson

Some words of encouragement for most of us who are still going through the recruiting process. Past couple of weeks have been very hard for me and I am sure it has been for most of us. This week was a 5 day 15 case week, with added burden of recruiting and interviewing. Despite the work load I really enjoyed this week, the cases and the class discussions. In particular our Management communications class where we all narrated beautiful stories that conveyed a deeper meaning. One of stories related a personal experience to current process and delivered a message left a significant impression on me. It was about how we have got so involved in the process and are 'Looking to do what we think we have to do rather than doing what we want to do'. So I think we really need to figure out what we are really passionate about and go fo it. Also, it is very easy for us to take high paying corporate jobs and be indifferent to so many causes that need attention. Its upon us to go out and make a difference. I leave you with a poem by Robert Frost offering some words of wisdom.

The Road Not Taken
Two roads diverged in a yellow wood,
And sorry I could not travel both
And be one traveler, long I stood
And looked down one as far as I could
To where it bent in the undergrowth;
Then took the other, as just as fair,
And having perhaps the better claim,
Because it was grassy and wanted wear;
Though as for that the passing there
Had worn them really about the same,
And both that morning equally lay
In leaves no step had trodden black.
Oh, I kept the first for another day!
Yet knowing how way leads on to way,
I doubted if I should ever come back.
I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I-
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.

4 Comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey! Your blog has given me a wealth of information, esp when I was researching Darden. Well I finally have an interview call (yay!) and I'm visiting Darden this month end... And here I am back to your blog for more information!! Just wanted to say thanks!

Anonymous said...

Oh you're from Infy too!! :)

Anonymous said...

Hi,

I need an advice from people who have been admitted to US B schools... Can u tell me how much does a gmat score and yrs of work ex matter in getting admission into a good b school..I had 660 and 2 yrs of work ex and got rejected from krannert, eli board, kenan flager etc.. Would it be a good idea to improve my score this year n reapply...

nisha said...

You made some good points there. I did a search on the topic and found most people will agree with your blog.
bba india

© 3 Column XML Blogger Templates | Web Toolz