Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Backpacking in Europe Part 1 - Madrid

Here is my travelogue on the backpacking trip in three parts. Since there is a lot to write and pictures tell a thousand words, I will make this a photo-blog, mainly narrating my travel through pictures. It so happens that this is also my 100th post and writing about my Europe trip seems an apt way to go about it. When I started this blog I never would have wondered that I would reach this milestone. Anyway, here goes. Hope you enjoy this 3 part series

First Look at Plaza Mayor. it was originally founded in 15th century
walking down calle mayor. One of the beautiful streets in central Madrid
Kids dressed up for Festival of San Isidro. The celebration marks the beginning of the bull fighting season
Traditional dance form I caught in Plaza Mayor



Cathedral Nuestra sra. de la Almudena. Right next to the the royal palace
Palacio Royal. view from the cathedral. Palace is magnificent and the luxury reflects the grandeur of Spain in medieval times
View of Madrid from the cathedral
Fuente de neptuno (Fountain of Neptune) on Paseo del Prado
Entrance to Museo del Prado. One of the most famous museums in Europe. Has a great collection from 14th century to modern times
Downstairs Bar at cats Hostel. Hostel I stayed at. It was a fun and exciting place to meet travelers from all over
Parque Del Retiro. A huge park near the center of Madrid. Houses 2 museums, a lake, rose garden and was the biggest park I have ever seen

Rose garden at the park

More from the Park

The magnificent entrance of the National Library

Goodbye Cats Hostel. I am Leaving Madrid for Barcelona


I did also manage to see Musuem Thyssen Bournemisza, Archaeological Museum and the Atocha station. Also of note is the fact that night life in Madrid goes from 12 am to 7am every night, yes 7 days a week. The flurry of tourist does help to keep it going but the lifestyle amongst city's younger population is pretty much of living life and partying. Not only did I enjoy the great sights and museums Madrid had to offer but also the exciting and energetic nightlife. I Definitely recommend a visit to anyone who hasn't been there yet.

1 Comment:

Sayak's Travel Guide said...

Madrid is a place with a lot of natural beauty, rich in history, and has a beautiful environment.

© 3 Column XML Blogger Templates | Web Toolz