Tuesday, March 08, 2005

Reality Check

Where I am right now?
I am 24, Single, working in a software company (like thousands other in Bangalore). So what does differentiate me from the rest? or am I just 'Another brick in the wall'
I have been doing some thinking about my career and personal goals lately, primarily because I thought MBA was a good option for me, and hence I decided to apply for Best B-schools. So one of things I needed to figure out was where I was going and how I plan to get there.
Past few months have been with their ups and downs. With the hectic work load, I still managed a decent preparation for 'CAT' but didn't write it that well. I did do considerably better in my other exams. However when results came out, one thing was clear - IIMs were out, I had to settle for the 2nd best now. I got SP Jain call and I thought I did okay but was kicked out in Round -1. (Still trying to figure out that one). All is not lost, I still have two more calls from VGSOM(IITKGP) and XIMB(Ranked 15th and 10th in India according to BW)
However I have been asking myself on why I should settle for second best. I am confident that I can make it to the IIMs if I write again next year or even try for an US MBA. The logistics and Financial constraints for a Foreign MBA do pose a huge challenge and this had left me in a dilemma.
Now, after couple of weeks of hard thinking and turmoil, I am more or less certain that I am upto the challenge for a foreign MBA. Life is all about taking risk isn't it? If I do not venture, what will I discover!
Hence I am writing this blog instead of preparing for the interviews coming up next week.
I do plan to attend the Interviews and hopefully clear them (Just in case I change my mind or something else comes up that compels me to take up these offers)
I know that many students from India have made it to US B-schools, I mean the best ones like Harvard and Stanford, but something tells me that this doesnt make it any easier for me. Actually I somehow relate to 'Green days' latest song, which goes -

I walk a lonely road
The only one that I have ever known
Don't know where it goes
But it's home to me and I walk alone
I walk this empty street
On the Boulevard of Broken Dreams
Where the city sleeps
and I'm the only one and I walk alone
"Boulevard Of Broken Dreams" by Green day.

2 Comments:

Unknown said...

Anand Rao, Hi nice pics. Lots of envy. Lots of thinking happening. Thinking about the 'taking risks thing'.

Nice to read your blog. Would've like to do what you did when I was 24.

Anonymous said...

I am 24. and married. Seriously thinking of getting into Harvards and Kellogs or alike. But has just begun the thought process so still a bud.
I am telling you because reading your blog is helping me to relate 2 human lives..
Keep in touch at neha_m_awasthi@yahoo.com
if you like.
Cheers buddy!

© 3 Column XML Blogger Templates | Web Toolz